This is definitely one of those salads that can replace a meal. This recipe makes being a vegetarian look like it’s super easy. It’s a family favourite and I’ve made it countless times and it’s always a success! There are a few basic ingredients but plenty of room to improvise. Best of all, it combines the best of all nutrition worlds – protein, fiber, healthy fats and veggies! It’s a power meal indeed!
I’m sure you’re all tired from all these quinoa (insert recipe type here) but if this is your first time experimenting (or your 100th) with quinoa, this is the winning recipe.
You will need:
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup slightly roasted nut of choice (Pines or almonds or walnuts) – personally used pines
- 1-2 Avocadoes, depending on how creamy you prefer
- 1 large lemon
- 1 1/2 cup broccoli
- 1 Garlic clove
- Tomato (optional)
- Mushrooms (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin
for the salad:
- roast broccoli with garlic until slightly tender. set aside a few broccoli pieces for the dressing
- combine cooked quinoa, chickpeas, roasted pines, broccoli and any additional vegetables plus 1/2 avocado
for the dressing:
- combine 1 avocado with the juice of one large lemon (approx. 1/2 cup), remaining broccoli, cumin, salt and pepper. add 1 tablespoon olive oil if the mixture remains too thick
- mix in a food processor till completely meshed and evened out
- add to the ready salad and chill for 30 minutes to allow quinoa to really absorb all the juices.
Calories and servings:
makes 6 plentiful servings
calories per serving ~200 calories (without oil)