I don’t like the gym. Really, I don’t. I go 3 times a week but I’d trade all that in a heartbeat if I could find an outdoor sport that was availabe year round, just 5 minutes walking distance from my house – but I don’t, so I stick to my gym instead.
When I can though, I prefer [insert outdoor activity here], with the exception of skiing. I injured my knee skiing once and I haven’t been fond of it since.
Let’s take a look at how many calories* we could burn, off the treadmill for a change?
- Rollerskating – 250 calories in 30 minutes
- Kayaking – 350 calories for 1 hour of paddling
- Hiking – 200-plus calories in just 30 minutes
- Cycling – 800 calories for 1 intense hour (may be higher depending on route), or 250 calories for a more relaxed 30 minutes
- Tennis – 500 calories in 1 hour
- Rock climbing – 500-600 calories per hour (with approxiametly 7-8 routes).
- Jumping Rope – 700-800 calories per hour
- Boxing – 600-700 calories per hour
Of course these do not only vary in calories, but also in effect. Some are more cardio activites (ex cycling) while others are excellent strengh training workouts (ex rock climbing), or a combination (ex kayaking).
So find something that you might enjoy and try including it a lot more regularly in your lifestyle – watch those kgs come off while doing something you like! win win!
General TIP: try finding a community that will help encourage you to try new things. I owe my interest in rock climbing to Omar Oueini who has been such a support (though it comes off through lots of yelling!). Omar is rock a climbing guide, and can be reached on his facebook account or through email: omaraloueini AT gmail DOT com
P.S: * calories are calculated based on a 150 pound or 60 kg person