Cooking something new and healthy every day can get very tedious. So, in an attempt to try a new ingredient from a different cuisine, I got these transparent Asian noodles and went for shrimp cashews with sweet and sour sauce.
It was a HUGE success! I made a modest amount since it was my first try, but quickly ended up making more because we inhaled it! Let’s get started!
You will need:
- 500g deveined small/medium shrimps
- 200g of Asian noodles (not very recommended due to the high caloric content, but it was a new ingredient to try!. preferred option is whole wheat rice)
- 2 slices pineapple, diced
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1 white onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
Sweet and sour sauce:
- 1 cup pineapple juice (or just 1 cup water with 1/4 cup brown sugar instead)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vinegar (white or apple)
- 1 tsp oil
- Start by sauteing the onion in a tsp of oil on the stove
- Add the pepper, mushrooms, cashews, and finally the shrimps step by step till they are tenderly cooked. Keep the pineapple to the very end
- In another saucepan, add the sweet and sour sauce ingredients and keep stirring till the sauce thickens.
- Add the sauce to the shrimps and veggies. Cook for a few minutes till they are all thoroughly filled with sauce
- Cook the noodles as per the instructions on it.
- Combine noodles with shrimp cashews and veggies
Calories and Servings:
Makes 5-6 servings easily
Calories/serving: 390 calories
Calories/serving (without noodles): 240 calories
SO MUCH YUMMINESS!